Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spooky Halloween Decor



Now here's something a little more "fallish" for you!!!! I was over at "M's" for a little saunter when I came across this adorable Metal Decoration. I knew that I wanted to do something fun with it, but wasn't sure quite what. When I received my September DT Stamps from The Stamps of Life, I knew they would be perfect for this project. I had also wanted to try a neat double embossing technique that I'd read about in a magazine and just happened to have some Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder on Hand.



For this technique I used the Tim Holtz Halloween embossing folders. First I dabbed the Embossing Folder (the bumpy side) with Versamark Ink, then I ran it through my Big Shot. I then sprinkled tht inked paper with Tim Holtz Weathered Wood Distress Embossing Powder and Heat Embossed. I also Heat embossed the Fence from Solids4Halloween and  with white embossing powder the sentiment from spooky2scare I Stamped the Pumpkin, also from Solids4Halloween in Pumpkin ink. I shaded the Eyes and Mouth with my YR33 Melon Yellow Touch Twin Marker from Shinhan Art Materials.

I added some pictures of Jonathon......... i think he was around 9 years old then. I have to tell you that Halloween pictures of Jonathon are scarce........he wasn't a big fan of Halloween. When he was wee, I'd dress him up and take him over to a few friends. I think the first time I was actually taking him door to door trick or treating was when he was about five years old. Because we live in a rather densely populated area, we headed up the road a mile or so to a little subdivision. I was SO excited to take him out. He looked absolutely adorable in his Halloween costume. A big fluffy Dragon from Costco. Apple Green with Huge Lemon Yellow Scales.......WAY too cute!!! We got out of the car and went to a door. I'm telling Jonathon he needs to say "Trick-or-treat" to get some candy, followed by "Thank you". As we're coming down the stairs, I'm talking this event up, so excited; off to the next house for more. As we walked down the drive, Jonathon who was showing his first signs of cynicism and I have to admit, sensibility looks up at me and says "Why are we doing this mom" I really don't like it much. You've told me not to take candy from strangers before, do you KNOW these people". Followed by "Besides, if I want candy, I know you will give me some". How could one argue with that? So that concluded our Trick-or treating adventure until about the age of nine, when he realized how much candy mom would give him would pale in comparison to the sugary crop he could harvest on All Hallow's eve. Yet still, this was short lived as by about the age of 11 or 12, he decided his need for candy was sufficiently satiated at home. Ahhh it's funny how crafting can evoke the fondest and funniest of memories. I'm going to start labelling my more personal posts for Jonathon, in the hopes that he can look back at the blog one day and share some of these fun stories with his babies!

The pictures in this project were taken at Minks Farm, a fun corn maze about 40 minutes from home. It was a beautiful day , the weather crisp and the sun warm. We made a few trips to Minks over the years to make our way through the maze and purchase pumpkins

See you tomorrow with a Challenge!


Vicki

1 comment:

  1. LOVVVE this Vicki what a brilliant idea for a halloween decor!!! FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I hope you have a wonderful day and I very much appreciate your sweet comments!

*****Vicki*****